Thursday, June 9, 2011

What’s normal and what isn’t?

I was pretty annoyed last week when I received a call from school that Gianni bit someone.  This has not happened in SO long, so I found it all completely odd.  The part that annoyed me was that his teacher, Courtney, asked me if anything was going on at home.  Really?  He bites someone once in months and that’s what you ask me?  (yeah… it’s happened before but that was before he used his words to talk!)  How about this – he’s 2, someone (Morgan – he told me) pulled the toy truck he was playing with out of his hands, he was frustrated and he bit her.  How about that?!  Geesh…  Nothing like making a parent feel horrible.  I swear, if I didn’t love that damn hippy school so much…  Everyone is always shocked to hear their policy on biting.  They’re 2.  It happens.  Get over it.  It’s not like he has been maliciously biting kids for days/weeks/months.  Whatever… 

So what is normal and what isn’t?  G has definitely taken a turn about a month ago.  I thought my sweet little boy was going to skip all those terrible ages everyone talks about.  But nope.  I think he’s pretty normal.  I’m learning a whole new game of patience these days.  And discipline.  It’s been fun J

4 comments:

  1. Okay lady. I used to own a childcare facility and it's totally normal around this age because they're learning to use their words and can't come up with them fast enough. Is it exciting to have it happen? Of course not. Are you dealing with it? Yes. Is it a regular occurrence? No.

    Is Courtney under 20 and a psych major? I feel bad for asking, but can't help it. UGH

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Carrie - I always forget that you used to own a childcare facility. I should be reaching out to you when I want to strangle them! Yes... She's early 20's and just graduated. I know G is fine, but I hate their policy. If they bite, they get sent home. You think he realizes what he did moments later, not really! Either way, I'm happy he's out of that stage and this was a one off. I just hated the question. It made me feel like we were doing something wrong. UGH! Thank you for the advice! Happy Friday beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He must just miss his galfriend :)
    Yeah, that policy is BS... c'mon! I agree with you mamma! G doesn't mean any harm, he's just a little sweet bear!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Maggie - ahh thank you! I appreciate it and yes, that policy is BS!! xo

    ReplyDelete