Get ready... This is a long one ;-)
I had really hoped my first blog entry of 2011 would be upbeat as I shared all the excitement from the holidays, but it’s not. Don’t get me wrong, our holiday was still nice, but having a healthy little guy would have made it a million times better. And to top it all off, he’s sick AGAIN. Here goes my holiday story…
I last left you with the G still sleeping past 8AM on the 23rd. Well, he woke with that same high temperature which resulted in yet another trip to the doctor. Once we got there, his fever disappeared (I mean really?!!), he tested negative for influenza, wouldn’t allow a throat culture and his oxygen level read at 97% (no pneumonia). I got the ol’ “let it run its course” speech that I love so very much… <insert sarcasm HERE!>. She said if he woke with a high fever on Friday (Christmas Eve), we were to head to Children’s Memorial Hospital for a chest x-ray to rule out pneumonia (her tests may not have been able to identify it in the office).
So needless to say, guess where we were on Christmas Eve morning? Yep. Oh and can you guess what the result of the test was? That’s right – negative. While I’m at it, I can’t leave out the fact that it now appeared that my little guy had pink eye. So off to a Walgreen’s Clinic we went. Only to be told it was part of this virus and it needed to ‘run its course’.
After two trips to the doctor, one to the hospital and one to a clinic, I was about to break. And I did. But in the privacy of my own home. Behind a closed bathroom door. Only to be discovered by my little man who said ‘mommy crying’. That’s right little dude. Mommy can only be strong for so long before I just break. Those of you that know me know that I never, ever cry. So it took a lot to get me to that point and boy did I feel better after.
G continued to get worse that day and missed out on Christmas Eve festivities at the Martin’s. He put himself back into bed, only waking around 9PM to share Uncle Gregor’s filet with him. You’re a good uncle, Gregor!
I’m not sure if it was all the excitement of presents, half eaten cookies and pieces of carrots left on our balcony in the snow (whoever left that comment – thank you! It was by far the biggest hit!), but on Christmas morning, Gianni seemed ok. We gave everyone the green light to head on over for our Italian Christmas dinner. Little did I know, the virus G had turned him into the biggest brat of all.
By Sunday he seemed a little better and my mom thought it would be a nice change of scenery for me to bring him to Cleveland. So I did. Monday was touch and go, but he was definitely better than he had been, but still had a case of the brats. By Tuesday we were back to normal. Thank. God.
Fast forward to Sunday evening (2 days ago). It was the eve of my very last day off work. Most of my scheduled time off had been spent with a sick kid, which is definitely not relaxing. I put G to bed and not soon after, what did I hear? NO. Please NO. He was coughing. This is exactly how it started two weeks prior. I thought to myself – Please! He has to be ok in the morning. He is GOING to school! I was SO looking forward to spending my final day off scrubbing my house from top to bottom (I’m a little crazy – I may be the only person who finds pleasure out of this) and then treating myself to a mani/pedi.
He of course woke up with a 99.1 temperature. Not too bad so I gave him some Tylenol and off to school he went. I thought I was in the clear when I hadn’t heard anything around lunchtime. Whew… My day turned into MY day! Scrubbed baseboards, floors, rearranged furniture, all toys found a home, etc… Eat lunch, shower in peace, head to mani/pedi. Pedi is relaxing and beautiful and now onto my mani… Wait. Who is calling? No. Not them. It’s them. “Gianni has a temperature of 101.8. Can you please come pick him up?” I left with unpolished nails only to find my little man standing in the middle of his classroom, blowing his nose and coughing. He looks at me and says “Mommy I have a fever”.
So here we are again. He coughed up until 11:30ish last night and was still sleeping when I left for work this morning. His temperature is 99.0 and isn’t acting sick. If this is a repeat of the 8 days he was sick, I’m going to lose my mind. Whatever viruses are out there right now, they’re nasty. I’m back to drinking my Airborne cocktail ;-)
No comments:
Post a Comment