Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Send... Or Not Send... That is the Question

I have often joked that G is some sort of Benjamin Button.  He’s had a crazy vocabulary for years and been able to use it and is large in size for his age (often mistaken for a 6 year old).  It’s been difficult to parent him at times because you often forget you’re dealing with a 4 year old.

Here’s another example of his large size: He went for a dental cleaning last week and they couldn't believe he was only 4.  His molars have come in and his 7 year teeth should be making their appearance any day now.  Now, G had his first tooth at 4 months, so getting his teeth soon comes as no surprise to me.

Why am I mentioning all of the above?  Well, I recently found out that G CAN go to kindergarten this fall.  His birthday is the cutoff date (9/1) and we were under the impression he’d have to wait a year because he missed the date.  Not true.  He CAN go.  The great thing about this is our school district just passed all day kindergarten for the upcoming school year.  G has attended ‘school’ all day in the past, so this won’t be difficult for him.  But I’m having a hard time with making this decision.

During his fall conference, we spoke to his teacher about potentially attending K in the fall and she said we could revisit during spring conference.  He knows his numbers, ABC’s, writes his name, is social, etc…  I just don’t know if he’s mature enough.  He’s definitely big enough (which is something that scares me if he attends pre-k again – he’s already so much bigger than all the kids).  I worry because he’ll be the youngest and although he’s big, he may not be there quite yet.  My mom tells me he could repeat K if necessary, but I don’t know if I could do that to him.  My little bro was the youngest in his class (9/18 birthday) and did just fine.  He never attended preschool like G did, but times are different.  Sigh…

I know I have other parents that follow this blog, some are teachers, and welcome your input/feedback.  We have talked about this to G and he says he wants to go, but then again… he’s 4 J

Advice?!


4 comments:

  1. SEND HIM!!! no doubt in my mind it's a good idea! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maggie! I'm so torn on this... I think YES and then I speak with a teacher friend and think WAIT... Sigh... Ruby's going, right? I was a June baby and went too, but then again, we're girls and are smarter :) xo

      Delete
  2. Hi Michelle,
    I agree. Emily has a July birthday and had attended a pre-k program. All of my kids were 90% for height and weight so it made sense also. He is a boy though and that might be an issue as socially they are not quite there! (Mine still isn't there at 25!) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there!!! Thanks so much and I couldn't agree with you more. Such a tough decision. One of a million I'll be faced with as a parent, right?! Keep the advice comin' please! :)

      Delete