Thursday, October 11, 2012

The Nanny Diaries

While working at home yesterday, Marina (our nanny), gave me some not so great news.  She will be leaving us in a month to go back to school.  Hearing this sounded something like a needle screeching across a record.  Leaving us after 3 months?  As you can imagine, we’ve had mixed emotions about this.  On one hand, we are happy that she is pursuing something she wants to do because we genuinely like her.  On the other, WTF?!  Did she know this when she started with us?? (and yes… I asked… immediately).  When we hired her, we hired her long-term.  Unfortunately,  these days people need to make more money and do what’s best for their families.  I get it.  So we’re happy for her, but we are not happy about introducing someone new to our children.
And let me tell you, G isn’t the easiest to handle and she was finally in a good place with him.  Giuliana has stranger danger and yes, she’ll get over it, but will I?  I was finally comfortable with her watching my children, being in my house, doing their laundry (I’m very OCD about these details – first to admit it – and if you don’t do it my way – ask my sister (dishwasher)– I don’t like it - period), etc… 
This is when you realize how much easier life would be if you were near family.  I would much rather be paying a family member (if they wanted to do this, of course), than paying a stranger to come into my house.  Or better yet, be a stay at home mom or dad.  But we don’t live near family and can’t afford to live off one salary, so we start our search for a new nanny in the next week or so.  Wish us luck L

PS – Giuliana is 100% better!  Thank you to those who asked about her.  We appreciate it!

1 comment:

  1. OMG!!!!!!!!! I am sooooo sorry girlie! :( I don't have any clue what that feels like but your sentiment at the end I totally get that, and we feel the same way! I wish family was closer!

    ReplyDelete